Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Eyes Wide Open


I recently received a letter from a former student, so this week I wanted to try something different and let her tell her story. 

“My name is Amelia.  I am a twenty-one year old marketing student from the Dominican Republic. Two years ago I attended the Ultimate Life Summit, which is where I learned the 7 Mindsets.  I currently study at my town's community college, just three blocks away from my house.

“On Tuesday October 1st of this year at about 8:00 p.m., I was walking home from school with my sister.  Less than a block away from our house, two thieves on a motorcycle attacked us.  They were trying to take my purse, which held my schoolbooks and notebook as well as my ID, insurance card, college documents, cell phone and wallet.  In the middle of their attempt to rob me, my sister started defending us.  I was in shock, not fully getting what was actually happening.  She hit one of the thieves repeatedly, so in order to take my purse, he cut the straps and stabbed me in the hand.

“The thieves got away with my things, and I was bleeding like crazy.  People nearby noticed what had happened and came to help us.  I had to go to the emergency room, but once there, the doctor on call realized that two of my fingers weren't moving, and sent me for emergency surgery.  When I had been stabbed, it had cut two tendons and an artery, putting my entire left hand at risk.

“Surgery finished at 2 o'clock in the morning, and it was successful.  The next morning, people were calling my family like crazy. I was discharged that day, and later that evening, all my friends came to the house.

That was four weeks ago.  And now I'm going to tell you some valuable things I realized during this past month:

“- I can die any day.  As horrible as that may sound, it's true.  So, if I die now, what was the meaning of my life?  Have I done something amazing with my life?  No.  Have I accomplished my dreams and goals yet?  No.

“This raises the question:  Why the heck are you waiting to give your life some meaning?  The time to create an awesome life with what you are doing is NOW.

“- Be GRATEFUL.  Grateful that you are alive and well.  Grateful that you have the things you have.  I’m grateful that I am alive, when lots of people involved in situations like mine end up worse, even dead, while I got only a stabbed hand.  

“- Work on your relationships.  I actually didn't know that so many people would worry about me the way they did. I’ve learned that I have the most awesome friends because I picked them wisely and worked on those relationships.
“And last but not least...

“- Find your passion!  Passion is the only thing that will make you get up every day and face this roller coaster we call life.  Embrace that passion, and live as if your last day is today.  The reason I am not depressed over what happened is that I have no time to be depressed – I am busy focusing on what I love and am learning in order to get what I want!

“Scott, why is it that only difficult situations make us see what is in front of our eyes?  How can we be so blind?  I’m sharing my story with you in hopes you might share it with others.  What happened to me made me open my eyes and reflect on my own mindsets.  You can be certain that I am proceeding with an Attitude of Gratitude and intend to put my Passions First. The Time is Now to start living my dreams!  Your former student, Amelia José.” 

Well Amelia, to answer your question:  I believe difficult situations are an opportunity for us to re-examine our lives and learn something to help us grow.  There’s an old saying that the measure of a great teacher is not how many students they teach, but rather how many masters they create.  It seems to me that the student has now become the teacher.  Your life experience and words of wisdom are being shared with the millions of people who receive these weekly stories.  Today, you have reminded us to keep our eyes wide open and live life to the fullest!

Until next week...

Live Your Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment